The IRS released Get My Payment today which is a tool you can use to:
- Check the status of your stimulus check;
- Confirm the payment type: direct deposit or check; and
- Update your bank account information.
Here is the link to Get My Payment: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment
Taxpayers wanting to add their bank account information to speed up the receipt of their payment must provide the following information:
- Their AGI from their most recent tax return submitted, either 2019 or 2018;
- The refund or amount owed from their latest filed tax return; and
- Bank account type, account and routing numbers.
It appears that if a taxpayer does not qualify for a payment due to income level, after entering the requested information a message stating “Payment Status Not Available” and a link to information on eligibility rules will be displayed. (Editor’s Note: I know of at least one taxpayer who received this message but they should be eligible for the payment have so there could still be some kinks in the system).
Your tax preparer has no ability to check on the status of your payment. The IRS call center is shut down, so there is literally no one to call. Payments will be going out between now and August so please be patient.
For Frequently Asked Questions about the payments you can go here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center