I am self-employed. How do I get Unemployment benefits?

If you are self-employed but unable to work due to the COVID-19, you may be eligible for Disaster Unemployment Assistance(DUA) as managed by the US Department of Labor.

This is not an income tax provision so Cromwell Tax & Bookkeeping is not able to provide any guidance or advice about this benefit.  That being said, it appears that it will be managed through the states so in California, keep an eye on the EDD website to find out how to apply for these benefits. Here is a link to the EDD website regarding DUA benefits

It appears the EDD website has not been updated yet for the CARES Act that passed last Friday afternoon that provides additional unemployment benefits for the self-employed so be patient as they try and catch up.

Share the Post:

Related Posts

Skip to content